The hot summer months are here, and you and your family have probably cranked up the AC to stay cool. However, keeping your house at a comfortable temperature can be costly if AC is not used correctly. Here are some tips that can save you a lot of money while still keeping your family happy!
- Do not stick anything into the air outlets or inlets.
- Do not pour water onto the unit to clean it.
- Never use harsh chemicals to clean (instead use warm water).
- Never store gasoline or any other flammable liquid near the air conditioner.
- Avoid placing any objects near the outlet/inlet.
Cooling & Money Saving Tips
- The smaller the difference between your indoor and outdoor temperatures, the lower your overall cooling bill will be. Try to set your thermostat at the highest possible temperature that is still comfortable.
- When you turn on your air conditioner, avoid setting the thermostat colder than normal. It won't cool your house any faster, and could cause excessive cooling and therefore unnecessary expense.
- Try using an indoor fan to help increase air movement and cool your house faster than only using AC.
- Avoid placing appliances that give off heat near the thermostat (lamps, stove, etc.)
- Try not to use a dehumidifier at the same time that your AC is running. This will increase the cooling load and cause your AC unit to work harder, which will increase your bill.
- Keep your house closed tight. Try not to let in any extra heat or humidity. At night you can ventilate with open windows or fans if necessary.
- Keep shades on East and West facing windows to prevent the sun from heating up the house.
- If possible, wait to use heat-generating appliances until evening, such as dishwashers and ovens.
- If your air conditioner is old, consider buying a newer, energy-efficient model.
For more tips, click here to read about the top 10 Air Conditioning mistakes you can't afford to make.