When you warm up your car in the morning, make sure you are taking the necessary precautions to protect yourself from auto theft.
The heightened crime associated with auto theft involves “puffer cars” – vehicles left running unattended with the telltale puff of the exhaust.
“Leaving your car running unattended is not only dangerous, it’s illegal,” says Colonel Scott Hernandez, Chief of the Colorado State Patrol. “Once a puffer car is stolen, the thief rarely stops there. We’ve seen both a rise in auto theft and the serious, violent crimes associated with it.”
To successfully combat auto theft, the public needs to work hand-in-hand with law enforcement.
What can the public do?
1) Never leave your car running unattended.
2) Always lock your car.
3) Never leave any keys in the car, even a spare set.
4) Never leave valuables in plain sight.
5) Always park in well-lit, high-traffic areas.
6) Get windows, doors and fenders etched with the VIN.
7) Consider installing a tracking and recovery device.
Information from lockdownyourcar.org.