What are some of your favorite hiking trails?
Whether you want to go with family, friends or by yourself, there are so many paths to explore!
- If you’re looking for something different, check out Hiking Project, a website dedicated to discovering new trails and loops around the country.
- Also check out the app AllTrails: Hike, Bike & Run. This app is a great reference to have on-the-go and is available through iOS and Android app stores.
What to include in your hiking backpack:
- Map and compass
- Knife or multi-tool
- Rain (or snow) gear
- Hiking boots
- Extra socks
- Water bottles and water purifier
- Trail snacks
- Extra days’ worth of food
- First-aid kit
- Emergency shelter
- Itineraries (one left with a friend and one under your car seat)
- ID, cash and phone
- Hand sanitizer
- Prescription medications
- Sun hat
- Insect repellent
- Bear mace
- Toilet paper
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Two-way radios
Download our Hiking Backpack Checklist PDF. Also, check out this YouTube video by REI:
That's all for now. Happy hiking! Your trail guides at Mountain West
P.S. Don't be like this guy - be careful when stepping on wet rocks.