Hiking is a great way to explore the natural world. Make sure you’re prepared for your next trek by reviewing this list of things to include in your hiking backpack.
What are some of your favorite hiking trails?
Whether you want to go with family, friends or by yourself, there are so many paths to explore!
- If you’re looking for something different, check out Hiking Project, a website dedicated to discovering new trails and loops around the country.
- Also check out the app AllTrails: Hike, Bike & Run. This app is a great reference to have on-the-go and is available through iOS and Android app stores.
What to include in your hiking backpack:
- Map and compass
- Knife or multi-tool
- Rain (or snow) gear
- Hiking boots
- Extra socks
- Water bottles and water purifier
- Trail snacks
- Extra days’ worth of food
- First-aid kit
- Emergency shelter
- Itineraries (one left with a friend and one under your car seat)
- ID, cash and phone
- Hand sanitizer
- Prescription medications
- Sun hat
- Insect repellent
- Bear mace
- Toilet paper
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- Two-way radios
Download our Hiking Backpack Checklist PDF.
Also, check out this YouTube video by REI:
That’s all for now. Happy hiking!
Your trail guides at Mountain West
P.S. Don’t be like this guy – be careful when stepping on wet rocks.